About cancer counseling
At Calaway·Young Cancer Center in Glenwood Springs, CO, we are here to help men and women through their cancer journey, not only through high-quality cancer care but by providing patients and their families with cancer counseling. Our medical team offers a variety of counseling services, including genetic advisement, nutritional guidance, and spiritual support. We believe that cancer not only affects the physical body but one's emotional and spiritual state as well, which is why we place great value on counseling services. These methods can help provide patients with an educational platform, a caring community, and a strong support system to help them cope and even regain hope for their future.
Cancer Counseling Reviews
"Greetings Dr. Rossi, I don't know who hires and trains your employees but I have to say, I have never in all my travels, through 20 countries in this world and every state in the United States, I have never, ever met such Quality, Caring and Professional people anywhere. From my first contact as well as my follow-up, not to mention the oversight of the nurse navigator and her expertise and watchful caring, as well as your personal nurse, to integrated therapies, who ever does your hiring and training, it is the best place I've ever been in this world- Congratulations, keep it up!!! One last comment. In my quest to find the best treatment I was told by three different doctors that you were unquestionably the BEST! In my experience in working with you thus far you have surpassed what your colleagues have said about you. I don't know if you have any idea what that does emotionally and realistically in a patient's heart, but I can tell you it adds to the healing - Big Time! I say two thumbs up to the Calaway-Young Cancer Center and Valley View!"- J.H. / Office Visit / Feb 12, 2019
Types of Cancer counseling
Calaway·Young Cancer Center offers the following counseling services:
- Genetic Counseling walks a patient through the potential risks of developing cancerous diseases that are prevalent in their family and what they can do to help prevent these diseases from occurring. Our medical advisors will walk a patient through different lifestyle modifications and go over signs and symptoms to look out for in hopes to catch the disease as early as possible if it does arise.
- Nutritional Counseling involves consultationing with a registered dietitian to help men and women make well-informed decisions about their diet. Our team will assist patients in developing a balanced diet, grocery list, and meal plan to aid in their overall well-being.
- Surgical Counseling includes setting appropriate expectations, discussing the potential risks of surgery, and reviewing postoperative instructions to ensure the best possible results. Our cancer team will work closely with patients to help them understand all their options.
- Nurse Navigation guides patients with timely, personable care to help them through their healthcare journey. Our nurse navigators stand as the communication liaison between providers and patients in addition to coordinating in-house patient care and discharge planning.
- Social Work utilizes the guidance of a certified social worker to help find community-based resources that provide services for patients and their families or caregivers. This may include palliative or hospice care.
- Support Groups can help patients and their families find and build community with others who are going through a similar circumstance. This is a powerful tool as it provides patients and caregivers with an outlet to express their thoughts, feelings, and emotions in addition to reducing the effects of feeling completely alone in their cancer journey.
- Spiritual Support offers patients and their families guidance from our chaplain, which may include prayer, meditation, and private counseling sessions.
Benefits and Risks?
There aren't any physical risks involved with cancer counseling as these are nonsurgical services that focus primarily on educating patients about their genetic risks of developing cancer and provides patients with emotional support during their cancer journey. We understand that for many, it can be difficult to open up your heart and to be honest about how you are feeling and what you are thinking about regarding your circumstance. However, our staff isn't here to place any guilt or make anyone feel silly. We believe your feelings and emotions are valid and want to provide patients with an outlet to work through all that they are experiencing.
Our counseling team
Calaway·Young Cancer Center is proud to employ a compassionate team of professionals, such as certified cancer nurses, a seasoned social worker, and welcoming chaplain. Together, we collaborate on how we can best serve our patients and their families during this difficult time. We are honored to serve the men and women of Colorado and are inspired by our patients' strength every single day.
Get the help you deserve
If you or your loved one is battling cancer, our team is here to help you. At Calaway·Young Cancer Center, we care about the 'whole' patient: mind, body, and spirit, which is why we offer a variety of counseling services. We invite you to call our office to learn more about our programs and how they can benefit you and your family.